Monday, September 13, 2010

No Baby On Board by Iris

My lovely blogger bff Iris from my life in purple  gave me permission to re-post her post about not having any babies and the wonderful freedom that comes along with it !! I wanted to re-post it because I feel the same way and she couldn't have said it any better !! If you don't know who she is stop by I love her blog and she keeps it real !!

She wrote it for one of Mama Kat's workshops !!

A list of things you no longer have in common with your married/child bearing friends…and why you love them anyways.There seems to be a natural human order to how you're supposed to live your life: You grow up, you get married, you have babies.Well, I've never been one to play by the rules anyway.

I grew up dreaming of marriage and babies. I got married young, then shortly after, filed for divorce. Fell in love with someone else, and decide that happiness is all that matters to me. Babies are not in the cards for me. I personally love kids, don't think I don't, I just have no desire any longer to be a mother. I don't feel incomplete without a child of my own, and I think that most women who desire to be mothers feel that extra love in their heart, waiting to give it to a child.

I make no apologies for my childless life, even when some people don't understand it. Big and I are strong enough as a couple to live our lives as a happy family of two. Some people might think we live a selfish life, but I think it's more selfish to bring a child into this world just because you feel pressure by society to fulfill your 'mother role'.

I've reached a point in my life where about half of the people I went to high school with are married and having one or more children, and I get updated about them via Facebook. I see my baby mama friends a lot less often than I used to, but that's not for lack of trying to get together. Someone will get sick, and mom can't come out to play.

Here's how my life is taking the path less traveled.



- I get to have sex with the door open and don't have to worry about anyone hearing us

{ well, maybe the neighbours... }

- I've never wiped anyone's butt but my own

- My boobs are purely for show

- I try new recipes without having to worry about forcing someone to eat it

- We drive a completely impractical two-seater car

- Which channel is the Family Channel? No idea. Where's Skinemax? Oh, channel 185!

I deal with wine, and not whiners


- Big and I can pack up and take off for the weekend on whim

- My house is quiet almost all the time

- My purse is tiny has virtually nothing in it

{ no wet wipes, no tissues, no spare diaper }

- I own no plastic dishes

- I sleep through the whole night

- I'm not passing my family's bad medical history of cancers, heart disease, alcoholism or mental health issues on to anyone else But you know, I have thought a sippy cup could come in handy when I've been drinking wine...

But I love all of my baby breeder friends for things like:



- Getting to see their baby in an ultrasound or hearing their heartbeat for the first time

- Having an excuse to buy ridiculously cute tiny clothing

- Being their excuse to get out of the house and have fun

- I love to listen, so go ahead and tell me what you found jammed in the toilet

- Getting to be the fun aunt that their kids look forward to coming to see

{The one with the gum and the swear words }

By : Iris from My life in Purple

No comments:

Post a Comment